One-dish meals are busy Mums' (or any other busy person's) best friends. Pumpkin rice is one such meal. I love this dish for a number of reasons:
- It's healthy and nutritious
- It is easy to prepare
- It can be cooked ahead of time and kept warm till it's time to eat
- Ingredients can be easily substituted with anything you have in the fridge
Without further ado, let's proceed to the recipe:
Uncooked rice, washed and placed in water as per rice cooker's instructions
Lean pork, cut into strips
Pumpkin, washed and cut into cubes leaving skin on
Dried mushroom, soaked and rehydrated, stem removed and sliced
Dark soy sauce
- Start cooking rice in a rice cooker
- Wash and/or prepare all other ingredients
- Season the pork with some dark soy sauce and black pepper
- Heat up frying pan and add a little cooking oil. Add garlic and onions and fry until fragrant.
- Squeeze water out of prepared mushrooms and add to the frying pan.
- Add seasoned pork, then pumpkin to the frying pan. Add a little water and cook for a few minutes.
- Add dark soy sauce to the pan with a little water and mix. Turn off the fire.
- Once the water in the rice cooker has started to boil, add all of the frying pan's contents into the rice cooker and give it a good mix.
- Now, wait for the rice cooker to inform you when it's done.
- Serve with a little white pepper.